Tuesday 7 August 2012

Retronomicon #3


More often than not, when browsing through videos on YouTube, my thoughts turn to old programs from my childhood. The more obvious ones such as Transformers and Masters of the Universe are largely ignored because of their ubiquity and the challenge becomes dredging up half-forgotten shows from my mind.

One such show is Once Upon a Time...Life, a French production that aims to tell the story of the human body to children. Broadcast on Channel 4, my memories are that this was one of the earliest cartoons in their Sunday animation block and I would normally catch it while waiting for something along the lines of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. I only remembered the show as that one that was a bit like the Numbskulls with a bearded dude in it, but the joys of the internet meant it didn't take long to uncover a title and episodes on YouTube.


Unlike certain shows from my childhood, which will remain nameless, Once Upon A Time...Life stands up as a superb cartoon that is remarkably enjoyable to watch. In fact I probably enjoy it more as an adult than as a rather impatient child jacked up on sugary cereal.


Once Upon A Time...Life was the third series in the Once Upon A Time series, although I only vaguely remember the first two series, Man and Space. The series has continued beyond my childhood to include The Americas, The Discoverers, The Explorers and Planet Earth.


I don't think the Once Upon A Time series is currently broadcast in the UK, and it certainly isn't available on DVD, which is a crying shame as it is something that would entertain and educate a new generation of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment